Almost all of us get our heads turned by e-bikes with fat tires. Their hulking treads often dwarf their counterparts, after all. And for any person who got used to the latter, fat tires may seem trendy and. But obviously, they’re not. They’ve been around for a long time in standard bikes and have since permeated the e-bike field as well. They are here to stay, in short, and that’s actually good for the average e-bike rider.
For the host of benefits they bring, fat-tired e-bikes can be considered as a whole new category of electric bikes. What are these benefits? Well, we will be discussing them in greater detail below. But, for your ready reference, here’s a quick rundown of all their perks:
- E-bikes with fat tires make excellent off-road vehicles because of their sturdier designs, so much so that they can even beat gravel and mountain e-bikes in this area.
- They also do well as beach cruisers so you can definitely consider them as an alternative for the latter.
- The fat tires boost control and balance, making these e-bikes ideal for those who want more of both these essential biking factors. This characteristic also makes them relatively easier to ride.
- You can expect plenty of fun and comfort when riding them as well. And most of it really hinges on the fact that electric fat bikes provide a completely unique riding experience altogether. If you’re a newbie, you’ll soon realize why once you begin riding one yourself.
- Riding fat e-bikes also opens up plenty of opportunities to burn fat! A fit-ting benefit if we might add. For all those riders who have been meaning to lose a few pounds, this is the e-bike to get.
Read also: Are electric bikes good for exercise? [Spoile: yes, they are] – in this article.
Electric bikes with fat tires more than deserve to be put in the spotlight for these reasons. What’s evident is that they are very versatile without question. If you want to get further details regarding their advantages as well as brand recommendations, do continue reading to the end.
Taking a closer look at the advantages of fat tires for electric bikes
1. Fat e-bikes bring out the adventurous rider in you
Since you have an e-bike that has behemoth, tough-as-nails tires, you don’t have to fret too much about riding through rugged, unpredictable terrain. The fat tires shrug off the elements, to say the least. From rough roads filled with spiky rocks and stones to snow-dense and wet trails, you rarely encounter any disruptions in your riding when you use a fat e-bike.
Their general design also makes them amenable to any kind of weather condition. In fact, fat e-bikes can even give mountain e-bikes a run for their money in this regard. You can’t see this much sturdiness from a lot of e-bike categories. This fact can’t be more obvious especially in the way most fat e-bikes can withstand gusty winds that might already buckle even high-end eMTBs out there.
Read also: How to select your first electric mountain bike? – in this article.
Being able to ride through sandy and snowy terrain is also not a common electric bike trait. If you lower tire pressure, you can easily breeze through marshes, dry sands, and even snow-packed trails. You won’t even have a hard time enduring heavy rains with them because of the comparatively firmer grip of the tires (though this may not prove to always be true in cheaper models).
Indeed, a case can definitely be made for fat e-bikes when we’re talking about the best type of e-bike for off-road riding. You get the bonus of their being low-maintenance as well.
Read also: How to select the best gravel e-bike? – in this article.
2. Their tires are ideal for beach riding
You’ll see most cruiser e-bikes incorporate fat tires because they just provide a better grip on the sand. It won’t even be far-fetched to say that fat tires in bikes are added precisely for this purpose. Again, this perk really stems a lot from the larger surface area the tires can cover. This feature allows these e-bikes to handle most off-road terrains easily.
That said, if you’re going to be using a fat e-bike frequently on the beach, you may want to invest in a good set of sand protection for your brakes and drive train. The same goes for protective goggles, but it’s definitely optional.
Also, being ideal for beach riding does not mean it’s going to be a walk in the park every time. You may have to pedal more frequently if you’re not going to be relying too much on the motor. Otherwise, you can just offset the added resistance by firing up the motor. This same reason only proves why fat tires and electric bikes are a match made in heaven.
Read also: Do e-bike riders use full motor power all the time? – in this article.
3. They bring better all-around control and balance
Every e-bike rider probably wants this as much as possible. Off-roaders, in particular, need as much control and balance as possible when navigating through rough spots and performing challenging twists and turns. Fat tires give you this benefit every time, which is why many first-time riders find themselves pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get the hang of riding fat e-bikes.
This feature really boils down to ease of riding, and these e-bikes shine a lot in this aspect. Not only are they versatile, but they’re ideal for beginners, too!
4. Fat e-bikes guarantee fun and comfort
Since it doesn’t take much time and effort to ease into riding these beautiful rollers, they’re almost certainly fun to ride as well. Nevermind the unique appeal of their jumbo wheels. Nevermind the. You’ll undoubtedly see just how much enjoyment you can get from these e-bikes once you start riding one.
Take note that cruisers provide substantial comfort simply because they incorporate these types of tires. Sure, there are other factors, but it’s one of the main ones. That should give you a good inkling of fat e-bikes’ ability to impart comfort.
They help keep you fit better
You can argue that almost all off-road e-bikes give this benefit if you rely less on the motor. But since you have to exert more effort when pedaling these e-bikes, they engage all muscles (like the core and leg muscles, for example) involved in bike riding more. In the long run, this only brings about better health benefits to the rider.
Read also: Which muscles work when riding an e-bike? – in this article.
So the next time you consider an eMTB or gravel e-bike for working out, you should definitely not overlook those with fat tires.
List of notable fat tire electric bikes today
|Model Name||Weight||Riding Range|
|BULLS MONSTER E FS||55.8 pounds (25.3 kg)||25 – 70 miles (40 – 110 km)|
|Surface 604 Boar Hunter||67 pounds (30.4 kg)||25 – 45 miles (40 – 70 km)|
|Addmotor MOTAN||77 pounds (34.9 kg)||50 – 60 miles (80 – 95 km)|
|Rad Power Bikes RadRover 5||69.6 pounds (31.3 kg)||25 – 45 miles (40 – 70 km)|
Types of fat e-bikes
When it comes to discussing the types of fat e-bikes, we don’t really need to stray far from other e-bike categories. Practically any e-bike type that incorporates bigger tires is already a fat e-bike. So don’t be surprised if you find these varieties in fat e-bikes from time to time. You might come across models with their unique frame designs and styles. However, in general, these are the types of e-bikes that more commonly use fat tires:
- Fat Electric Mountain Bikes – What could be better than mixing the advantages of fat tires with eMTBs? You can virtually conquer most off-road terrains with this e-bike and still manage to get the best in tech tools and better handling features. Got a mountain e-bike that didn’t quite make the cut when handling particularly tough terrain? This variety might suit you better.
Read also: How much does a mountain electric bike cost? – in this article.
A further variant of fat eMTBs exists in the form of hunting fat tire electric bikes. These e-bikes simply add accessories and features that make it suitable for hunting. Noise-canceling features, trail cameras, and storage for hunting gear are but some of the accessories you can find from these types of fat e-bikes.
- Fat Beach Cruisers – These were put on the spotlight before because of their definitive ability to handle sandy trails. Their popularity has risen to the point that the majority of cruiser e-bike manufacturers opt to use fat tires in their models to heighten comfort.
- All-Rounders – If there’s a “General” category for fat tire electric bikes, this could very well be it. All-rounders can be any fat e-bike that gives you a satisfactory ride around town and still manages plenty of off-road riding. Arguably, city and commuter e-bikes with fat tires both fall under this category.
Read also: Which e-bike to buy? Making your educated e-bike selection choice – in this comprehensive e-bike selection guide.
- Folding Fat E-Bikes – Folding e-bikes overlap plenty of other e-bike categories as well. So it’s not a surprise that some fat e-bikes also have foldability capabilities. Plenty of commuters opt for these types of fat e-bikes so they won’t have to worry too much about low stability when riding.
Read also: How to select the best folding e-bike? – in this article.
Take a look at this RadRover fat tire e-bike review:
Fat tires comes with their own disadvantages
Even though they give a lot of perks to the rider and are versatile, e-bikes that use fat tires are not perfect. There areas where they pale in comparison to other e-bike types like:
- Difficulty in finding replacements for parts. You may struggle to find components like hubs, cranks, and rims ideal for their design. The same goes for when you are trying to find replacement tires.
- Fat eMTBs can be expensive to maintain and upgrade because fat e-bikes and eMTBs are both generally on the costly side.
- You always have to be mindful of tire pressure. Due to the “fatness” of the tires, any adjustment to psi might already affect riding experience. If you lower pressure, you might get more resistance. But if it’s higher, you might have to deal with bouncing tires. You also need to mind your girth because it is directly tied to both as well.
Do take note, though, that electric bikes actually address most of the common downsides of fat-tire bikes. Issues in weight, difficulty in pedaling, and lack of speed are solved by adding motors. These facts tip the scale in favor of fat e-bikes considering their numerous benefits.
Few words in conclusion
Electric bikes with fat tires are fast-becoming, and it doesn’t take long to see why once you read the facts laid out above. As further proof, you also don’t need to look further than the rising popularity of fat tire e-bikes. Their benefits just greatly improve the riding experience of bikers and the features most essential to them.
Let us know how we are doing! Have another question or a recommendation for us? – reach us via this contact form.