Last Updated on October 30, 2023 by Igor Karni
Since the early 1990s, FLYER has been a driving force in the industry, leaving an indelible mark with valuable innovations that have revolutionized the e-bike sector.
Table of Contents
From conquering city streets to traversing mountainous terrain, FLYER electric bikes offer comfort and versatility, making them a solid choice for all seasons and landscapes.
Is FLYER a Good E-bike Brand to Buy?
When it comes to the Swiss, there’s almost always no room to question their dedication to quality. For that reason, FLYER first made waves in Europe – its impact is slowly being felt in North America. Its indelible seal of Swiss quality is evident in the top-tier components, design, and intuitive handling of its offroad and urban options.
Brand Background and Values
FLYER is a bonafide e-bike pioneer, to say the least, because they’ve been in the industry since the 1990s. Not a lot of brands nowadays can say as much. Philippe Kohlbrenner is the genius behind it all.
First, their commitment to Swiss quality and precision is evident in every aspect of their e-bikes. No wonder they have a dense network of dealers across Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and the Netherlands.
The brand also has a clear commitment to sustainability (a fact it makes clear by dedicating a page on its main website).
They’ve got exciting stories and anecdotes to share, which they do personally on guided tours of their FLYER factory. Indeed, it’s not just a brand; it’s a journey filled with passion, innovation, and Swiss excellence.
Incidentally, FLYER should not be confused with another e-bike brand, Radio Flyer.
Product Proposition and Range
What truly sets FLYER apart is its passion for innovation. They’ve consistently paved the way for sportiness and cutting-edge technology. And guess what? They’ve won the prestigious Eurobike Award for their R Series.
They’ve been leading the e-bike game for decades, and their commitment to top-class design and effortless fun on and off the road proves they’re here to stay.
There’s almost a perfect balance between the urban and offroad options they have to offer. There’s clearly more variety in the offroad models since you can choose from e-MTBs, road, and a couple of hybrid/gravel units. There are 10 offroad options instead of the 7 made mostly for city riding and commuting.
Interestingly, the brand relies on rapid prototyping and 3D printing to create tangible prototypes quickly. This quickness with they’re able to do allows them to pinpoint issues and make improvements even before they decide to go all in on their resources to build a model from start to finish.
Flyer e-Bikes Review: Model Lines
|Uproc EVO:X, Uproc X, Uproc2||Mountain|
|Goroc TR:X, Goroc X, Goroc2||Hybrid|
|Gotour, Gotour3, Gotour6||Road|
|Upstreet SL, Upstreet, Upstreet1 – Upstreet6||City|
Such a process, as described above, has given rise to standout features (based on our examinations of the models like the Upstreet1 and Uproc X). We’ve lain them out here as follows:
- The use of relatively powerful Bosch and Panasonic motors that can reach up to 95 Nm of torque (for most offroad options).
- The use of FLOAT X damper on e-MTBs guarantees a smooth and controlled ride.
- The FIT software offers comprehensive features, a lock function, and intelligent connectivity.
- Nifty navigation functions for its urban options.
- The unique Swiss, techy aesthetic that most e-bike models from that country share.
The emphasis on advanced tech is definitely there, and you can’t expect anything less from a Swiss brand.
Build Quality and Design Aesthetics
Starting with Upstreet1, it’s clear that the brand prioritizes user convenience and comfort. The step-through frame design is a smart move for an urban e-bike, making it super easy to hop on and off during busy commutes. The well-thought-out integration of components like the U-lock and Speedlifter for handlebar adjustment further enhances the daily riding experience.
On the other hand, the Uproc X (9.5, to be exact) embraces a more adventurous and robust aesthetic. Its full carbon frame and exposed motor make it seem like it means business. The motor system integration and the use of FIT software seem impressive, especially with features like tire pressure control valve display and heart rate monitor connectivity.
Both bikes have a unique charm, catering to different riding preferences and lifestyles. The Upstreet1’s design caters to the city commuter who wants a stylish and practical ride. At the same time, the Uproc X is geared toward thrill-seekers who crave off-road adventures.
Performance and Ride Experience
Since FLYER has too many models to inspect individually, we’ve focused on three relatively popular e-bikes in their catalog when assessing overall performance and ride experience.
- The Upstreet1 is equipped with a Bosch Performance Line motor, delivering 65 Nm of torque. Not the most powerful, but sufficient for an urban e-bike.
- Its Bosch PowerTube 500 Wh battery offers decent capacity for daily commutes and short trips. Still, it might need a recharge for longer journeys.
- With a comfortable city riding speed, it handles well in stop-and-go traffic, and the twist grip of the Shimano Nexus drivetrain adds a unique touch to the ride.
- The step-through frame and clever design details make mounting and dismounting a breeze, ensuring a stress-free riding experience.
- The suspension seat post and ergonomic components contribute to a comfortable and enjoyable ride around town.
Flyer Uproc X 9.50
- The Uproc X 9.50 takes things to the next level with a Panasonic GX Ultimate motor, offering an impressive 95 Nm of torque. This means it’s ready for some serious slope negotiation!
- The FIT software integration is top-notch, allowing for a seamless connection with peripheral systems like tire pressure control valves and heart rate monitors.
- The 750 Wh Bosch PowerTube battery ensures that riders can venture further into the wilderness without worrying about running out of juice.
- On the trails, this e-bike shines with its 150 mm travel and balanced handling, making technical climbs and fast descents a joy.
- With the Panasonic motor’s responsiveness and the intuitive FIT display, riders get real-time feedback and control over their ride experience.
Flyer Gotour 7.12 XC ABS
- The Gotour 7.12 XC ABS caters to explorers with its Bosch Smart System Performance Line CX motor delivers 85 Nm of torque – a true powerhouse for trekking adventures.
- The impressive 750 Wh Bosch PowerTube battery ensures riders can keep going for extended e-bike escapades without worrying about a recharge.
- The anti-lock braking system (ABS) enhances safety during braking, providing riders with an added layer of confidence on all terrains.
- The comfortable touring equipment, including a suspension seatpost and 80 mm travel suspension fork, ensures a smooth and enjoyable ride on long treks.
- With a maximum speed and acceleration tailored to meet trekking needs, the Gotour 7.12 XC ABS is perfect for city commutes and weekend getaways.
In summary, Flyer e-bikes cover a wide range of motor powers, battery capacities, and handling capabilities. The brand isn’t called versatile for nothing.
For a variety of tandem electric bikes, here is our comprehensive tandem e-bikes guide.
Technology and Features
Looking at the Upstreet1, the Bosch Intuvia display provides a user-friendly interface, showing all the essential ride information at a glance, like speed, battery level, and distance traveled. You’ll be in the know without squinting at tiny screens!
The e-bike also comes equipped with an ABUS Shield 5650 lock, ensuring your bike stays secure and giving you peace of mind while sipping that coffee at your favorite cafe.
The innovative FIT software of the FLYER Uproc X allows connections with peripheral systems like tire pressure control valves and heart rate monitors, making your ride more personalized and data-packed.
MonkeyLink mount is another handy feature that neatly integrates the display and holders, keeping your cockpit sleek and cable-free.
Lastly, the brand knows that exploring requires space for gear, so they equipped the Gotour 7.12 XC ABS with a versatile rack and MonkeyLoad for your touring needs.
Customer Reviews and Reputation
Reviews from the US audience are relatively rare, which is understandable since the brand has only recently entered the market (2021, to be exact).
Based on most professional reviews, FLYER’s reputation is mainly positive, with many customers satisfied with their e-bikes and the brand’s commitment to providing quality products and responsive customer support.
Customers have reported positive experiences with the brand’s customer service team, finding them knowledgeable and accommodating.
Much like most brands, though, they’re not perfect. Customers inevitably experience delays in shipping and other relatively minor issues that barely put a dent in the brand’s long-standing, spick-and-span image.
Pricing and Value for Money
We’re not going to mince our words and say outright that most FLYER models will cost you an arm and a leg. It’s the quintessential e-bike price – and almost anyone who has been in the e-bike industry for the past decade will quickly understand what we’re talking about when we say this.
You’re paying for quality. These e-bikes definitely walk the talk by integrating high-end, unquestionable motors from Bosch and Panasonic. The robust builds of the offroad options give off a juggernaut vibe, which is well-complemented by advanced technology. This unique combination lends the models their own style and originality.
With those facts in mind, it’s safe to say that you’re getting all the goodies if you buy any FLYER model. The quality earns a solid, bold checkmark with relative ease, so we can say that these models have high value for money.
Warranty, Trial Period, Shipping
Does the brand offer manufacturer’s warranty for their e-bikes? Yes, it does. Here are the conditions:
- Frame Failure – You get a fantastic five-year warranty for any issues related to frame failure.
- Components and Electronics – The warranty covers these important bits for two years, giving you peace of mind.
- Battery – Your e-bike’s battery is also covered for two years. However, there’s an additional condition for the battery. It should have at least 60% residual capacity after two years or 500 complete charging cycles, whichever comes first. But don’t worry; if you’ve followed the instruction manual for charging and operating the battery, you’ll be good to go.
Remember, for the Flyer Plus Warranty, you should ensure that your e-bike’s final assembly is completed by a Flyer specialist dealer or a qualified Flyer partner if you purchased it online.
Does Flyer offer a trial/test period for their e-bikes?
Yes, you only need to find a FLYER dealer near you, and you can ask them to let you test any model you choose. You can also have them booked. For more details, go to this page.
What countries can Flyer e-bikes be shipped to?
As of this writing, the brand only ships to most European countries since that’s where most of its dealers are mainly found and based.
Flyer e-bike: Pros
Innovative Technology – FLYER doesn’t hold back regarding technology. From their top-notch motor systems to clever software integration, they push the boundaries to enhance your e-bike experience.
Diverse Model Range – Whether you’re an urban commuter, a trail enthusiast, or a trekking adventurer, this brand has got you covered. Their e-bikes cater to a wide range of riding styles and preferences.
Quality Build and Materials – It knows how to craft a sturdy ride. Their use of premium materials and attention to detail results in e-bikes that can handle the rigors of daily use or adventurous expeditions.
Comfort and Ergonomics – Its e-bikes are designed with ergonomic features like suspension seatposts and forks, making your journey feel like floating on clouds.
Long-Lasting Batteries – Its e-bikes come with high-capacity batteries that offer long-range rides, ensuring you won’t be stranded anytime soon.
Convenient Connectivity – Who doesn’t love a connected ride? Its intelligent systems and display panels keep you informed and entertained on the go, from speed-dependent vibrations to heart rate monitoring.
Safety Features – FLYER e-bikes have your back with features like anti-lock braking systems (ABS) and integrated lights, providing a secure and well-lit journey.
Flyer e-bikes: Cons
Now, let’s be honest; even the best have room for improvement –
Pricey Options – The company’s e-bikes pack a punch. Still, they might have a slightly higher price tag than some competitors. It’s worth considering the features and value you’re getting for the investment.
Design and Aesthetics – While its e-bikes are built for performance, some reviewers noted that certain design elements, like paint quality and welds, could use more finesse.
Conclusion and Recommendation
Key Points Worth Remembering about FLYER:
- Its e-bikes offer a diverse range of models for various riding styles, from urban commuting to off-road adventures.
- The brand is known for its innovative technology, powerful motors, smart software integration, helpful accessories, and convenient connectivity features.
- Quality build and materials ensure sturdy and reliable e-bikes that handle everyday use and rough terrain.
- Comfort and ergonomics are prioritized with features like suspension seatposts and forks, providing a smooth and enjoyable ride.
- Long-lasting batteries with high capacity ensure you can go the extra mile without worrying about running out of juice.
Here’s Our Overall Assessment
It’s clear that FLYER is a brand that takes e-biking seriously. With a strong focus on innovation, comfort, and quality, they offer a compelling lineup of e-bikes to cater to different riders’ needs.
From powerful motors to intelligent connectivity options, FLYER is constantly pushing the boundaries of e-bike technology.
Their e-bikes provide a fantastic riding experience, whether you’re cruising through the city, tackling rugged trails, or embarking on more daring journeys.
With attention to detail and premium materials, the brand ensures its e-bikes can withstand the test of time and the challenges of dynamic terrains.
So, Is Flyer a Good E-Bike Brand to Buy?
Absolutely! FLYER e-bikes are great for anyone seeking a high-performance, comfortable, and reliable ride. They offer models for various preferences, from tech enthusiasts to comfort seekers.
While they may come at a slightly higher price point, the features and quality you get in return make it worth the investment. Whether you’re an urban commuter, a trailblazer, or a trekking enthusiast, Flyer has an e-bike to fit your lifestyle.
So, if you’re ready to experience the thrill of an e-bike with cutting-edge technology, top-notch comfort, and superb build quality, Flyer is definitely worth considering.