The Sport & Cycle Union has just released the cycle market figures for 2018. Power-assisted bicycles continue their double-digit growth.
The 21st edition of the Observatoire du cycle revealed that of the 2.7 million bicycles sold in France in 2018 (for a turnover of more than 2 billion euros), 338,000 (12.5%) were electric-assisted bicycles. That’s 21% more than in 2017 and now accounts for 40% of total bicycle sales, according to the Sport & Cycle Union.
This is far from the +90% of the 2017 fiscal year. Still, the growth remains strong despite this inevitable decline caused by the halt in January 2018 of the system of bonuses set up by the State for the purchase of electric bicycles.
City e-bikes remain in most demand
Looking closer at the e-bike sales figures, it is clear that nearly two-thirds are city bikes. Electric mountain bikes follow with a market share of 19%, almost on par with cross-country models (18%), reflecting “a progression of leisure and sports practices”, according to the Sport & Cycle Union.
On the other hand, trail road bikes only represent a small percentage, which is hardly surprising in the world where lightness matters a lot and electric assistance is prohibited in competitions.
Nearly € 1,600 for a new e-bike
The French spent an average of € 1,585 to acquire their e-bike in 2018. A stable amount (+ 0.5%) compared to 2017. Electric bikes are much more expensive than conventional bikes without electric assistance. This does not prevent sales from growing, which is also helped by the regular arrival of new players.
The Sport & Cycle Union nevertheless states that Chinese imports have been seriously reduced thanks to the introduction in January 2019 of anti-dumping duties at European level to preserve the internal market.
Two-thirds of purchases take place in multisport stores
Multi-sport stores remain the largest sellers of electric bicycles with a market share of 64% in volume (-2% compared to 2017), ahead of retailers at 19% (-9%). Multi-sport stores keep 55 % of PDM in value. Supermarkets retain 14% of value for 4% of total sales in 2018. Internet sales are still marginal, at 3% of value for 7% of sales, but internet sales have the largest increase in volume (+ 17%).
A million e-bikes per year by 2025
The growth is not about to stop according to the forecasts. Around one million e-bikes could be sold in France by 2025. This could close the gap with other countries, like Germany, where almost one in four bicycles, sold in 2018 was with electric assistance.
The Netherlands and Belgium, however, remain far ahead, with respectively 40% and 50% market share of electric bicycles in 2018.
This post was translated from French. The original version was published on Cubic. Photo credit – public domain.